Wednesday 6 May 2009

Starting to get nervous...

Kester goes back to work tomorrow meaning it will be me, at home with two children. Two! How on earth am I going to manage? It's not so much that I fear being alone with them, I just can't work out how the practicalities of it all work. How am I going to get them both down the stairs in the morning? Will I ever get to have a shower? How do I keep Felix happy and distracted when breastfeeding Iris? Answers on a postcard please!

Also tomorrow, Iris will be two weeks old. Time has flown. On one hand I still can't believe she's with us and we are a family of four; on the other it feels like she has been with us forever. She still doesn't do much, of course, and she makes Felix seem so big and able to look after himself as she's so tiny and helpless in comparison, but we rather like having her around. She's a fantastic sleeper - I keep expecting this to change as it seems too good to be true, but she often sleeps for periods of 5 or 6 hours at night because she fills up on the good stuff in the evenings then is zonked for the night. Oh, and she really does love that sleep. We've had loads of visitors this last week and I think she's slept on all of them.

The most active thing she's done is roll over at a week old. Funnily enough Felix did the same thing at a week and they were both wearing the same outfit. Ha. I didn't get a picture though. I've taken loads (and will be sharing them in a minute) but I realised earlier she's changed so much already and I haven't taken any for a few days, so I'll have to get on it tomorrow. Iris is getting more alert by the day (when she's not sleeping) and is quite the little character, having already perfected her grumpy face.

Felix is coping well. He wasn't sure what to make of her at first and was pretty wary of her, but he's getting fonder of her all the time. He gives her kisses goodnight and really looks out for her - makes sure we don't leave her in the car, things like that. He still gets a bit tense when she cries, but he's a sensitive little thing and is like that when anyone gets upset. He's surprisingly gentle with her, even when trying to lift her up to get her out of the way (eek) and even let her share his bath the other day. Considering how much he loves bathtime, this was a big step.

Anyway, here are a load of pics from the last two weeks... I really can't believe how much she's changed already.





























4 comments:

  1. I know this sounds dead corny but it will work out. It will. Unlike you I was very fearful of being left alone with the two. I was imagining them double teaming me with crying, nappy changes, illness etcetera. While there were some really iffy moments of "I can't do this" and wanting to sell one on the local online trading site, it was generally not as daunting as I expected. I think it's amazing how well some older siblings adapt and I also think, at least with my experience, Felix will start becoming even more independent with particular tasks and it's such a help! He talks quite well for his young age doesn't he? He might just take up a gear quite quickly now Iris is here.

    Congratulation on your beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures! You have precious children. I don't have any advice on the two kids thing, just good luck!

    Where did you get the little outfit you had on Iris in her first pictures? It had green animals on it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm sure you are going to do fabulous! Lucky you, a good-sleeper. I want me one of those ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww she is such a doll! And WOW is she a good sleeper! Consider yourself very lucky. What my poor mom wouldn't give to have Victor sleep like that! :)

    Anyways, I love the pictures. Felix sounds too cute! What a loving big brother.

    Best of luck on your first day alone with them! I'm sure you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete