Sunday 15 February 2009

ABC, as easy as SPD...

So. I'm in pain. Boo hoo. Seriously though, it bloody hurts. I've had this particular ache since the first trimester that I just put down to being another of the general discomforts of pregnancy but this last week or two it's got so bad I started to think that perhaps it's not completely normal. I asked around about and it seems like it's probably SPD, which is apparently very common in pregnancy but can get really quite painful, sometimes resulting in women needing crutches in the later stages. Thankfully mine's not quite that bad at the moment but it is making it very difficult to do anything, even things like climbing the stairs, picking up toys, chasing a toddler who is determined he can walk down the stairs by himself etc. Thankfully Kester's been letting me rest as much as he can, and Mum has offered to come round more. I'm not really very good at asking for help though, and even though it's hurting me to move around I hate sitting there while people busy themselves with things I should be doing. Bah.

We see the midwife on Tuesday so I'm hoping she'll have some magical solution. Actually, speaking of the midwife, I'm really quite looking forward to this appointment. She's coming to see us at home so that we have a bit longer to chat about everything, including the homebirth. We went for a hospital tour at Southend Hospital today, just in case we end up needing to go there and if nothing else it left me feeling like we've made the right choice in deciding to have a homebirth. There's nothing wrong with the hospital itself, in fact it has a very good reputation for maternity and neo-natal care, but it's just the whole systematic approach to it all - all the moving from one area to the other at different stages of labour, the visiting hours, having to stay in for a set time after the birth... that and the fact that the woman who showed us round was about as unenthusiastic as it's possible to be. Nah, give me my nice house, comfy bed and lack of visiting hours any day. After being induced with Felix, I'm hoping this labour will be as intervention-free as possible, as comfortable as possible (ha!) and as short as possible... I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. If you remind me I said that when the contractions start, however, there is a good chance I will hit you. Just a gentle warning.

2 comments:

  1. You cant hit me when I'm in Brentwood and your in Southend shreiking the house down LOL!! Good luck though Lou I'm sure it will be a magical experience for all of you and dont be afrai to ask for help if you need it, you have a MASSIVE amount of people on hand to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool, Louise. If we lived closer to a hospital (and my husband was willing), I might be tempted to try it. I'd really like to try a waterbirth, myself. While I wasn't induced, my first experience was not a good one, so I am up for anything different!

    Also, I hope something can be done for your pain.

    ReplyDelete